The Communities Thrive Program is a “deep dive” in a small number of communities to help them capitalize on the current “Brain Gain” trend in the ways that best fit their unique community, ultimately building on the strengths and diversity within our region. This program uses place making and planning approaches to support community vitality. NMF selected Warroad and Halstad in December 2018 as the first two communities they will be working with through the inaugural Communities Thrive program.
NMF allocated a total of $100,000 in grant funding through Communities Thrive to support projects in Warroad over the two year program. In January 2020, NMF awarded a total of $50,000 to the following projects:
- City of Warroad for softball field improvements
- City of Warroad for LEGO Club goose waste project
- Dream Big Inc. for the Kidpreneur program and recreation activities
- Northwest Community Action for a Millennium Lao Association startup
- Warroad Community Partners for the October Festival and North Born Fest
- Warroad Community Partners for community signage
- Warroad Community Partners for Folk School Warroad startup
- Warroad Public Schools for Indian Education Cultural Programming
- Warroad Public Schools for a portable playground
The Discovery & Development Hub (D&D Hub) in Warroad hosted a 3 Year Anniversary celebration on February 24th. At that event, staff from the the D&D Hub and the Warroad Economic Development Group congratulated the organizations that received a grant from NMF, as well as shared updates on exciting new initiatives happening around town. The D&D Hub has been a great addition to the Warroad community since they opened their doors in 2017. To learn more, visit their website here.